Rue Saint-Sauveur owes its name to the old church of the same name, which underwent numerous transformations.
The first church was built in the early 17th century and was used as a place of worship for the town hospital which had just been transferred to this street, and began to fall into ruin from 1734 onwards.
It was replaced from 1738 to 1743 by the current building based on plans by the engineer Siméon de Garengeau (Paris 1647 - Saint-Malo 1741) and was completed by the town architect, Michel Marion, in the severe style characteristic of military engineers.
The old church was burnt down in 1944, was restored, and is now used as a venue for various cultural events.
The old town hospital was not rebuilt and was replaced with new buildings. One of them bears the plaque commemorating the town’s reconstruction, which was placed there on 26 January 1947.
Prior to 1944, the town hospital’s internal courtyard was decorated with a well with pillars which was subsequently transferred to a place in front of the Hôtel André Désilles.