This street links the covered wheat market erected here from 1821 onwards to the Rue des Forges (also known as the Rue des Forgeurs) southwards. Its northern part (from the wheat market to the Rue des Petits-Degrés) was called Rue Migeaux at one stage.
The name of the street was supposed to have referred to a metal grillwork gate (herse in French) which was used to close off one end of the street. We know that a similar grillwork gate, which was also called a hérisson (hedgehog) was once also fitted to the Grand’ Porte.
The street retains a few old buildings, of which No. 10 dates from 1719.
It is linked to the hilltop part of the town by the Rue de l’Orme, which was mentioned from the 15th century onwards as the “Rue de l’Ourme”. In this street, you can also see a few other houses that avoided destruction in 1944.
No. 3 has a fine cut granite façade from the early 17th century, with windows framed with mouldings, the upper parts of which form crossettes.
No. 9 is an old town-house with a courtyard separated from the street by a wall and a turret. Its windows are framed with Renaissance-style pilasters.